Monday, September 3, 2012

Tech Journal-Google Reader

http://www.google.com/reader/view/?hl=en&tab=my#stream/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.slj.com%2Ffeed%2F


For this technology entry, we were asked to create a Google reader account.  I actually have had a Google reader for quite some time.  I love blogs, and when I was a stay at home Mom, I used Google reader to keep up on my favorite sites.

I love Google Reader because this tool makes it very easy to keep current with the blogs of your own choosing.  It is easy to jump on reader and pick and choose what I want to read on that particular day.  Then if I want to actually go more in depth, the blog site is just a click away.  It becomes this fantastic tool for a quick read-I have my list, I click, I read.  There is nothing that I dislike about Reader.

Back in the day, a Mom friend of mine actually introduced me to Reader.  She encouraged me to get an account because it would make life easier when it came to reading my favorite blogs.  While I don't remember the exact steps I took to create my account, I do remember being very pleased at how simple it was to get started.  I have noticed that now a simple click links me up to Reader instead of having to copy the URL like I did in the beginning.  What excited me the most is the ease of use.  It really does make the excuse, "I don't have time to read journals", obsolete.

For this assignment I chose to link up to:  School Library Journal;  School Library Monthly; and Edudemic (a school technology blog).  I chose these feeds to follow because I can apply each of the site contents to my job now.  As I shared in my last post, School Library Journal is an AWESOME resource for book reviews!!  I figure instead of sifting through the paper journal, I can keep current by having this on a feed.  School Library Monthly is another great feed that I will use frequently with students and for my own professional development.  Some of the recent feeds discuss common core standards in regards to the library, library advocacy, and book reviews as well.  I stumbled on to Edudemic and holy cow it's awesome!!!!!  First of all I am admitting that technology is not my strong suit.  After being at home with kids for 13 years, I am realizing that knowing how to use a smartphone just doesn't cut it!!  Sure I can navigate a Smartboard and I know what an iPad is-but there is SO much out there!!!!  Edudemic is SO cool!!  The articles range from how to use an iPad, what apps to use on the iPad in the classroom, to being responsible technology users.  There are tutorials, reviews of apps and products-this is DEFINITELY a feed that I will be using A LOT!!!!!!  I am actually excited that I found it.  I will make time to keep up with all of the new posts that come from this site!!

While this particular feed will be used for me, the information that I glean from these feeds will impact my students.  Whether I get a good review for a new book or find a cool new app to share, my knowledge will trickle down to the kids that I serve.  On a bigger scale, I wonder if it would be possible to link an RSS feed to our library blog page and provide our students with appropriate feeds that would assist them in content areas?  Or just link up to cool feeds like 5 Minutes for Books.  There are so many feeds out there that it would be a good way to highlight really good ones.

I have always enjoyed Google reader for personal usage, but now I see the value in using it professionally as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment