Sunday, September 16, 2012

Reading Entry-The Kardashians (seriously-this is GOOD!!)

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/book_whisperer/2012/09/what_the_kardashians_taught_me.html


So for my reading entry this time I thought I would go to thebookwhisper.com and see what Donalyn Miller's website was all about.  I have the book and thought it would be cool to see what her website looked like-BORING!!!!  Yes it had book recommendations which is great, but it took me all of 10 minutes to read it!!

So then I saw on the right hand side a link to her blog-the article title was:  What the Kardashians taught me about reading-that grabbed my attention!!  So I clicked on the link and HIT THE JACKPOT!!!!!

I ended up on Donalyn's blog which is fantastic!!!  Officially I chose this on accident, but it is evidence that good things come from exploration!!!

First let me say that you have to go and read this article-IT IS SO GOOD!!!!  It is a guest post by one of Donalyn's friends, Christopher Lehmen.  He makes the connection between the Kardashian family and their ability to permeate, well pretty much everything, and ties it to reading.  How we can brand ourselves as readers, market our library to attract "buyers",  and why reading instruction should be real.

I also went further into the blog and read several additional posts-this one was my favorite!!

I really like Donalyn's blog!!  Her website, no, but her blog gets a resounding thumbs up!!  The blog is full of various postings from guest writers/teachers/professionals and the blog owner herself.  The postings are witty and current.  They are also very easy to read!  I am bookmarking this blog and will definitely make it a part of my professional reading.

The content of this blog is varied which I enjoyed.  The Kardashian article gave me a great idea for "selling" a particular section in our library that just doesn't circulate.  I intend on going in and pitching an idea to my colleague about covering this area with paper and caution tape and then doing a reveal after a week.  Maybe putting some book jackets in frames like we have in other places??  Something to get some traffic!!  The ideas that I gleaned from this one article have got my creative thoughts running.  It is exciting to have a fresh perspective.  Overall this resource has a variety of topics that are informative, entertaining, and thought provoking.  I will come back to this blog because Donalyn does a great job of grouping and reviewing books, giving tips to engage readers of all ages, and the guest speakers crack me up!!

*********************************************************************************
After doing this review I realized that I had gone out and gotten my own source instead of going to the back of the syllabus.  I did not realize that we were to use the list that you gave us, so I went out and found this blog.  I will do a second posting on one the resources listed.  The Kardashian article was too good to pass over and I wanted to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment