Saturday, September 29, 2012

Blue Skunk-what? (reading journal entry)

So for this reading journal entry, I picked the Blue Skunk blog as my source and was not disappointed. Here is the link to the entries that I really liked:
http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/month/august-2012

To summarize what I read:  his whole blog!  I started at  the "my website" tab and worked my way through each of them.  It is entertaining and informative!  And to be quite honest, I'm not much of a techie and I still really enjoyed it!!  Maybe because I'm not a techie that's why I did like it so much.

My favorite entries that I read were:

1.  Social networking policy whiplash
2.  My biases-which is an entire tab devoted to Doug Johnson's personal beliefs
3.  BFTP (blast from the past) Concerns about creativity

When I first started to read this blog, I didn't realize that it was based on technology.  The resource is really helpful-although a lot of the entries are based on Johnson's personal beliefs and thoughts.  I did enjoy his point of view and appreciated his thoughts on the use of technology in the classroom and library.  There wasn't an aspect of this blog that I didn't like.  I read it as what it was-a personal blog devoted to technology and the way it affects teachers and students from a personal point of view.  I would use this as a resource for personal reading.  I would use this on occasion.

I didn't really learn anything, but I did appreciate Johnson's point of view.  My favorite was his "my biases" tab because it made me laugh out loud.  It was pleasurable to read his entries-I'm not sure I really learned anything new, although I did not read every single entry available, so perhaps there are things like tech/app reviews elsewhere.    I would use this as a tool for professional reading simply because Johnson has an interesting point of view.  It is not like Edudemic where I actually learned about apps, but it did have a different kind of value to me.  It was thought provoking which I like.  It was challenging to my way of thinking which I also like.  I also admire that he is bluntly honest about topics that most educators shy away from (BFTP concerns about creativity)-and really, he is right.  I would like to ask him what technology he uses personally.  How does he feel about the iPad usage in the classroom.  He values games and such in the library, but I wonder if he really feels this way or was he being sarcastic?  I couldn't tell.  I would consider looking into social networking policies further because I know this is an underlying issue in my own building.

Maybe I should come up with my own Mrs. Story's biases tab for my own blog-hmmm....the list might be too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment