Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Jackpot-or Horn Book Online (Reading Journal)

http://hbook.com


For this week, I chose to look at the Horn Book (online version) and was NOT disappointed!!!  Let me begin by saying that this is my favorite resource that I have looked at so far.  This resource has been created to provide parents, teachers, and librarians (public and school) with recommendations for good children's and YA literature (their mission statement).  I chose it because it was on the list and had been discussed in class-it sounded interesting.

I spent a lot of time browsing this site!  I read information on choosing books which included reviews and author's questions; using books for libraries (this focused on public libraries but was still full of excellent information!);  under creating books I watched the making of the Freight Train app (super cool!); and under the interview tab I selected 5 Questions with Roz Chast to preview.

My favorite articles were:  What makes a good dystopian novel?  And the making the Freight Train app.  All of the articles I read were VERY helpful-there are a variety of book reviews, app reviews, and ideas for instruction.  I enjoyed the author interviews and the publishing section as well.  There was nothing on this site that appeared to be useless or lacking.  It is very practical and I have bookmarked it to use in the future.  I will absolutely use this with my students when it comes to purchasing, reviews, and educating myself.

I REALLY needed to read the article on dystopian literature.  Right now I am struggling with YA fiction and this was excellent!!  The article defined what dystopian literature is, the four criteria of what makes a good dystopian book, and then gave book reviews on good books.  Reading this one article gave me the structure and a background knowledge of a genre that I don't know much about.  I can take this knowledge and immediately apply it in our library-I like being able to use information NOW.  I will continue to use this resource when I have questions, or just to keep up on what is out there.  I also like how Horn Books has a clear mission and their entire site upholds their statement.  I will continue to come back to this site and actually liked it more than School Library Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment